The George family loves Chicken wings but wings that you get in restaurants and sports bars are laden with MSG or some other unnatural ingredients which are usually deep frying if not double fried. Chicken wings are innately high in calories so I wanted to make them as healthy as possible, thereby leading me to bake my dish.
The weekend was approaching and we were planning to spend most of it at home relaxing, especially with the past few hectic weekends. So to kick start our Friday night, I planned to make these lip smacking chicken wings - tangy, spicy and "addictive-ly" delicious! It was accompanied by this fabulous dipping sauce that helped to just brighten up the whole dish!!
The keys to success here is to marinate the wings overnight so that the marinade flavors get infused well into the meat. Another point to note is to bake the wings until they are browned and done! Don’t forget to prick the wings with a toothpick before you pour the marinade.
Yield - 20 wing (approx)
2.5 lb – 40 oz (1.13kg) – Chicken wings
¼ Cup - Yogurt
¾ Cup – Cilantro, chopped
3 Tablespoon – Lime juice
¼ Tsp – Lime zest
8 – Green Chilly
2 inch – Fresh ginger
10 clove – Garlic
¼ Tsp – Turmeric powder
½ Tsp – Ground pepper
2 Tablespoon - Oil
- Add all the ingredients except the chicken wings into a blender and blend into a smooth paste
- Prick the wings with a toothpick.
- Reserve 4 tablespoons of marinade and pour the rest of the marinade over the wings
- Marinate it overnight in a non-reactive dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Spread the marinated wings on a baking tray and bake for 30-35 minutes
- While baking the juice from the wing will run out.
- Take the tray out after 35 minutes and reserve 4 tablespoons of the juice. Discard the rest of the juices
- Turn the oven setting to Broil and return the wing to the oven.
- Broil on either side of the wings until they are browned.
For the dipping sauce
4 Tablespoon – Marinade
4 Tablespoon – Cooked juice from the wings
2 Tablespoon - Yogurt
- Mix all the ingredients together and serve it with the chicken wings
Notes and Tips
- Marinate the wings overnight so that the marinade flavors get infused well into the meat.
- Bake the wings until they are browned and done
- Don’t forget to prick the wings with a toothpick before you pour the marinade.
** Dont forget to participate in the Bob's Red Mill Giveaway!!!